Sunday, April 13, 2008

My first steps

All my life I have loved toads, frogs and basically anything that lived in my backyard. I remember like it was yesterday. I would go on little expeditions looking for toads and I would catch them; putting them into any container I could get my hands on. Recently, I have really been interested in frogs and the whole process of taking care of them. I came across a site called Brian's Tropical's about a three days ago. Just by reading his site I could tell how passionate he was about dart frogs and tropical fish. Well, I browsed around and read his amazing well written tutorial on how to build a terrarium. I found out terrariums can be made from simple supplies and a little bit of patience. Motivated to make my own I went out and bought the supplies I was going to need.

Here's what I used
1. 10 Gallon Tank
2. Coco Substrate
3. Driftwood
4. Clay Balls or Hydra Balls
5. Pea Pebbles
6. Great Stuff Foam
7. 100% Black Silicone
8. 2 PVC Pipes
9. Moss
10. Plastic Screen

I also found some helpful tips at Black Jungle

I bought all the supplies in about a two day period. Today, I pretty much assembled it. Remember, this is only the first stage so hopefully I will have more updates. As you can probably tell I haven't talked about the actual dart frogs. More likely because I don't have any yet. I am hoping to get them after May 6. Reason is... I will being going on vacation and wont have anyone to feed them.

These pictures are not so good but you will have to deal!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Image and video hosting by TinyPic


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For a 10 gallon tank that looks pretty nice. Can't wait to see the finished product.